Founders Federal Credit Union is here to help you attain your financial goals.
Our innovative services, convenient locations and friendly employees are
here for you every step of your financial future.
Founders Federal Credit Union operates 24 offices and 3 service centers in North and South Carolina
covering the counties of Cherokee, Chester, Chesterfield, Lancaster, Laurens, Mecklenburg,
Spartanburg, Union and York.
Consistently recognized as one of the largest and most innovative credit unions in the nation,
Founders serves more than 191,600 members and has over $1.6 billion in assets.
- 1950 - Colonel Elliott White Springs, President of Springs Mills, opened Springs Employee Federal Credit Union in a small room inside the Fort Mill, SC plant after realizing his employees were victims of loan sharks and high-interest finance companies.
- 1960s - Three new locations of the credit union, chartered by the state, opened to serve the employees in Lancaster and Chester.
- 1970s - The credit unions moved offices out of the mills and into public access locations allowing members' families access to and participation in the credit union.
- 1979 - In November, the five individual credit unions became Springmaid Credit Association led by Laura Fleming.
- 1986 – The credit union opened its new headquarters building on Main Street in Lancaster, SC.
- 1993 – Springmaid Federal Credit Union officially became Founders Federal Credit Union.
- 1996 – Founders launched their website, becoming one of the most technologically advanced credit unions in the nation.
- 2000 – Founders celebrated its 50th anniversary and returned $2 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2001 – Founders returned $2 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2002 – Laura Fleming announced her retirement as President and CEO after a career spanning nearly half a century. On December 31, Laura handed over the reins of leadership to Bruce Brumfield.
- 2003 – Founders returned $4 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2004 – Founders reached $1 billion in assets and continued to be one of the top credit unions in the nation.
- 2006 – Founders returned $6 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2008 – Founders returned $6 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2010 – Founders completed their new headquarters campus where all administrative departments were consolidated into one central location.
- 2011 – Founders returned $10 million in capital dividends to members.