Relax. You’re with Founders.
Founders Federal Credit Union is here to help you attain your financial goals. Our innovative services, convenient locations and friendly employees are here for you every step of your financial future.
Founders operates 25 offices and 3 service centers in North and South Carolina covering the counties of Cherokee, Chester, Chesterfield, Lancaster, Laurens, Mecklenburg, Richland, Spartanburg, Union and York.
Consistently recognized as one of the largest and most innovative credit unions in the nation, Founders serves more than 200,000 members and has over $1.7 billion in assets.
- 1950 – Colonel Elliott White Springs, President of Springs Mills, opened Springs Employee Federal Credit Union in a small room inside the Fort Mill, SC plant after realizing his employees were victims of loan sharks and high-interest finance companies.
- 1960s – Three new locations of the credit union, chartered by the state, opened to serve the employees in Lancaster and Chester.
- 1970s – The credit unions moved offices out of the mills and into public access locations allowing members' families access to and participation in the credit union.
- 1979 – In November, the five individual credit unions became Springmaid Credit Association led by Laura Fleming.
- 1986 – The credit union opened its new headquarters building on Main Street in Lancaster, SC.
- 1993 – Springmaid Federal Credit Union officially became Founders Federal Credit Union.
- 1996 – Founders launched their website, becoming one of the most technologically advanced credit unions in the nation.
- 2000 – Founders celebrated its 50th anniversary and returned $2 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2001 – Founders returned $2 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2002 – Laura Fleming announced her retirement as President and CEO after a career spanning nearly half a century. On December 31, Laura handed over the reins of leadership to Bruce Brumfield.
- 2003 – Founders returned $4 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2004 – Founders reached $1 billion in assets and continued to be one of the top credit unions in the nation.
- 2006 – Founders returned $6 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2008 – Founders returned $6 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2010 – Founders completed their new headquarters campus where all administrative departments were consolidated into one central location.
- 2011 – Founders returned $10 million in capital dividends to members.
- 2013 – Founders launched their new Founders Online and added Founders App to their product and services.
- 2013 – Founders introduces their Loyalty Dividend, a special dividend that rewards and thanks members for their loyalty to Founders.
- 2014 – Founders returned a $5.7 million Loyalty Dividend to members and added Mobile Deposit plus a new responsive website to their growing list of Convenience Services.
Laura Fleming Scholarship
Laura Fleming Scholarship
If you have college-bound children, encourage them to apply for the Laura M. Fleming
The Laura M. Fleming Scholarship Fund was established by Founders Federal Credit Union in
memory of its former President and CEO. The purpose of the Scholarship Fund is to provide
undergraduate scholarships to the children of Founders Federal Credit Union members to attend
an accredited university, vocational or technical college of their choice. It will provide funding
to gifted future leaders who possess determination and enthusiasm in the spirit of Laura Fleming.
For more information, students may contact their high school guidance counselor; the Scholarship
Administrator at the Foundation for the Carolinas at 220 North Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC 28202;
or visit http://www.fftc.org/
Click here to complete their online application.